Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Munro Letters: May 23 1917: Melville Munro to Jessie Munro
Abstract Melville writes to his mother, Jessie Munro. He has returned from pass back to his camp in Sussex. He gives a more detailed rendition of his trip to London and Edinburgh.
Date 1917/05/23
Collection Private Gordon Munro Letters WW1 1915-1918
Letter Transcript May 23/17
No. 3 Co'y
Canadian Machine Gun
Crowborough Camp Depot

My Dear Mother,
Well, I am back at camp again. On Tuesday morning we left here and got to London at about noon. We went to a hut where the soldiers can eat and sleep and got a meal. Just as we were coming up a man stopped us and wanted to know if we were coming back and what we were going to do. We said we wanted to go to see Westminster Abbey so he was going up that way and came along with us to show us the way. Just before he left he gave me his card which you will

(PAGE 2)
find enclosed. You'd better keep it as a keepsake. I got it kind of dirty but that won't matter. Anyway we went through the Abbey had a look at the Parliament buildings and then went down past the tin soldiers to Piccadilly Circus. We went into a vaudeville show and after that to a barber's shop for a shave. The barber sat us up in a straight backed chair and shaved us in about 2 seconds and then had the nerve to ask for the price of a drink besides his ordinary charge. Some of the fellows were soft enough to give him some but he didn't get any from me. We went and had some tea and strolled around the stand and down to Buckingham

(PAGE 3)
Palace where the King hangs out. French, Hager, Cowan, Roy Wass and I were to catch the 10:30 train for Edinburgh, we were to meet at Charing Cross tubes at 9:30 but Wass and Hager didn't turn up so we missed the train waiting for them and they didn't even come then. However we caught a train at 11:30 p.m. for Glascow so we went up there and changed for Edinburgh and got there at noon on Wednesday. I had some lunch and then went to the McIntyre's. I didn't do anything that day except go down to Lieth and around by the docks by train. There is a boom all the way across the Firth there where they catch subs.

(PAGE 4)
On Wednesday night I had the best sleep I ever had since I left Canada and went down town at about ten o'clock. In the morning I went to the Scottish museum with French & Cowan and that afternoon we went to see the Forth bridge. It surely is some bridge and makes the Victoria bridge at Montreal look small. Just above the bridge in the Firth there is a big British fleet.
On Friday it was wet and I didn't do much but walk around the streets and look at the girls. There are any amount of them, and all kinds of pretty ones. On Friday afternoon we went to the Scotsman building and were shown around. It is one of the biggest

(PAGE 5)
printing office in the world. On Saturday it was a little bit wet too so I just looked around all day and left at 10:30 p.m. for London. Arrived at King's Cross station at 8 a.m. Sunday and went to Mrs. Fisher's at about 10:30 a.m. After dinner we went out. (The doctor with us) and I took a trip around to London bridge and the tower bridge. The tower isn't open on Sundays but I had a look at the outside of it, and saw the hill, Ludgate Hill, where they used to execute people. After that we went around to St. Paul's and went inside to the service for a few minutes. You can't look around on Sundays but I at least had a look at part of it.

(PAGE 6)
From St. Paul's we went to Hyde Park to look around and saw the places where the rich people live. Just as we were going into the park we met Dick Hawkins. He is on the Hgr.'s staff at London and can't go to the front because he is too young. We saw "Rotten Row" where the aristocrats ride up and down on their horses in the morning and after that went to a restaurant (you know what I mean) and had some tea and "strike me pink" if the girls weren't smoking as much as the men. It is the custom in London and I saw one little girl not more than fifteen, smoking the same as the rest. After that we went to Victoria station and my

(PAGE 7)
train left at 7:10 p.m., arrived in Crowborough at about 9, and then it started to rain and we walked about 2 miles in it. Of course we were wet when we got to camp but slept well in spite of it because I hadn't slept the night before. On Monday we started a revolver course. (The machine gunners have revolvers in France), and finished it to-day. To-morrow we start a gas course which lasts about three days and next week we start with the M. G. course which lasts 4 weeks. Then we go on pass for 5 days (I am going to London) and after that we are ready for France. Some of 164th boys went last week and a big bunch more is going this

(PAGE 8)
week so I may consider myself lucky in being where I am. I got a letter from Brock when I got back off pass and he is well. He is Intelligence Officer now as you will know.
I got Ed's letter allright and a card from that French kid. I sent Ed a parcel with some things in it that I got in Edinburgh. Tell the kids to be careful of them because those things don't grow on trees. When I go to London I will get something for you.
When you write to Mrs. McIntyre tell her what a good time I had because I did have a good time and they were very good to me.

Your Loving Son,

Search Terms Munro
World War I
Creator Arthur Melville Munro
Object Name Letter
Catalog Number 2017.22.116